Friday, June 6, 2008

hypomania coming in handy

I've been finding it hard to write lately. Not because I've been down, but because of lack of opportunity, coupled with unsureness on what to write and how to do it. Not that there isn't subject matter, but I'm not a natural writer, and wish I was. I adore the written word so much, that it's almost like blasphemy letting myself at a blank page. It's mediocre and I know it. I wish I didn't know it; ignorance is bliss. I guess I have some perfectionist tendencies that I need to tame. Because I do need to communicate (which is hard enough at best), and not doing something because you can't do it perfectly is really, really, silly. *sigh* Intellectually I do know this.

The lack of opportunity part goes like this: hubby has had pneumonia. A chest cold gone bad. Probably due to stress. It's been a very stressful past month for him, poor guy. As a result, for the past week he's been out of commission. Watching a lot of Seinfeld reruns.

So. I guess I'm realizing how much he really does help out around here. I've been running my tail off trying to keep up with the daily domestic demands (I love alliterations too, Susan!). It's like when husbands go away for a while, and the wife says 'gee, now I now what it would be like to be a single parent'. Yeah kind of like that. Only I know what it's like to be a single parent, and this isn't anywhere near as hard on many, many levels.

But still, time consuming and physically draining to wear the many hats required throughout the day to keep my 4 mop tops happy & healthy. Laundry anyone? And I swear keeping them fed is a full-time job in itself. And why didn't anyone tell me how much teenagers ask to be chauffeured around? And? Did no one inform my 3 year old that she is no longer 2, and that tantrums are so last year???? I'm tired. I need coffee. BUT! The good news? I've been successfully keeping hold of this hypomania. Except for a minor dip the day of, and the day after the Garage Sale. That was just too much stress right there. STRESS, I tell you. But I'm still hummin' so I'm very grateful. I can't imagine coping if I was anything but. Yes, actually I can. It would be called NOT coping. Don't care to recall what that's like at the moment, thanks.

And I must tell you that knowing you guys are all right here, living in my laptop is oh so comforting. Knowing I can steal a few minutes here and there to check up on you all and leave the odd comment - connecting - is becoming a really important part of my life. It's a lifeline of sorts. A real comfort. Thank you for being here!

10 comments:

JC said...

Coco, first of all, I am sooooo envious that you are flitting about in a hypomanic episode!!! lol I mean, I know it comes with sucky symptoms as well but coming from a depressed episode... we all have a favourite ;)

I think that your writing IS very good and interesting and enlightening and I look forward to coming to the world of Bananas! So when you have a free moment or two, just know you have a fan club, no matter what you write it is YOU and it comes out sounding great!

I'm sorry to hear hubby is sick. Sounds like you are giving care to lots of people now, so thank the Lord for that energy you have! Let's pray he gets well soon.

You do have a whole bunch of support here on the blogs. I too feel the same comfort when I come to the laptop. It's hard for me to move away from it now!

Take good care hun. Keep posting when you can :) Love, Jena

Mr B The Tech Teacher said...

Hun don't be so hard on yourself, your writing *is* good and I have taken something away from every post I have read :)

*hugs*
Hope hubby gets well soon!
~Shiv

Jazz said...

Coco, I have to second and third Jena and Shiv...your writing is just fine! Don't be so hard on yourself (pot calling kettle, here!).

Just remember this:
Use the talents you possess,
For the woods would be strangely silent
If no birds sang but the best


Don't know who to attribute it to, but one of the ladies in my quilting guild passed it around at our last meeting, and it was quite timely as I had just presented The Stupid Fish Quilt during our show-and-tell time, and was feeling extremely amateurish and clumsy after seeing many of the other guild members' efforts.

sbwrites said...

Dear Coco,
So sorry to hear about your husband. Hope he feels better soon. Sounds like you're doing great with your hypomania, and that is cause for celebration.

A few words of advice about writing: A post doesn't have to be long to attract your readers. They're just interested in knowing how you're doing.

And, if you feel like you're lacking inspiration, find a topic you care about (marriage, kids, wellness, gardening, love, summer, etc.), and find quotes online.

It doesn't require writing. It's great fun to find great quotes. And I get a lot of readers on the "quote posts."

Susan

Anonymous said...

My Dear Coco,
I'm glad it gives you comfort to "believe" that we are in your laptop, but let me assure you that I am too fat in body and too large in personality to fit in that tiny object, lol. Seriously, though, I understand what you mean. I'm loving writing, reading, and sneaking a few minutes to check for fun and supportive comments. It's like a entire other world for me....one that I enjoy more than my everyday life sometimes. Sad, but true.

Re: your writing. I understand the brain blocks, but I don't understand your reluctance to believe that you write well and have important stuff to say. I always enjoy your posts and am disappointed if I stop by and there are no new ones. Carry on sister!

Hope the hubby gets better soon.

P.S. Susan is right. Quotes are great! Fun to search for, fun to publish and fun to write. Great for those blank brain syndrome times. ;-)

marja said...

Maybe you're being self-conscious about your writing, when you shouldn't. Just be yourself and talk to us, as your friends in your laptop.

I'm glad you're connecting with me once in a while and leaving comments on my blog. I truly appreciate you.

soulful sepulcher said...

I enjoy reading your writing, I don't think there are many of us striving to become professional writers! (some are, i'm not) PS--pass that latte'! LOL!

Coco said...

Jena, just know though, that I don't take my flitting about for granted. I always think both of those that are low, and how quickly it can change for me. I appreciate every moment! Thanks for your kind words :)

Hey Shiv, your words make me smile, thanks.

Jazz, I really like that quote, thanks for sharing it with me. It's so hard not to be hard on oneself sometimes. It seems like second nature, but it's a nature I'd like to change. It's so destructive. And BTW, I loved your fish quilt ;)

Susan, I really appreciate the advise. I'm really not trying to write War & Peace each post, but it seems to come out rather long doesn't it? And I'm always telling myself that I need to post more short, whimsical things more regularly. Then I think, well why bother posting at all if I can't get it right, and then I leave it for another day. It's all rather silly, and I know my thinking needs some rearraging. I think it has to do with lack of boundaries. Sometimes I feel lost at sea if there's no rules. Because the possibilities just seem so endless. And what ends up coming out so mediocre. I'm hard on myself because I have the capacity for recognizing good (beautiful/quality/great) things. That's a double edged sword. Because the ablity to recognize doesn't equal the ability to produce. I have to work on letting that go! Thanks for your thoughts.

Dearest preciousrock, I am here to assure you that you indeed DO fit in my laptop. Quite nicely in fact, with room to spare! Thanks for your sweet comments, I love your support and sense of humour.

Hi Marja! "Just be yourself and talk to us, as your friends in your laptop" I love your commonsense, down to earth approach to things. It always hits home with me! Thanks, that is awesome advise, and I truly appreciate you too ;)

Hey Stephany, one latte coming up! I'm not striving to become a professional writer either. I just have to stop craving to have the talents others possess. I've always had a problem expressing myself verbally, so writing has been more of my outlet, and even that is difficult. It kind of feels like being in a straightjacket when I can't express myself, or get my feelings across in the way that matches what's on the inside. Basically, it frustates me. Thanks for the compliment ;)

Anonymous said...

Hi Coco,
I think you do very well too. I never thought myself a writer either and now after a year of publishing my blog I'm starting to think of myself that way.

I don't plan anything though. Stuff comes or it doesn't. I'm not always happy with what comes either, but I tend to post it anyway and see what happens. Don't know if that is good or not.

In any case, you are a good and engaging writer...I know I needed to hear that a whole bunch of times before I believed it.

cheers.

Coco said...

Gianna, thank you so much for the encouragement, it means a lot to me.