Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Boost

The need for silence is gone, thanks for helping me regain my balance! Not sure what that was all about and haven't had a lot of time for reflection, so I'll have to put it to one side for now. I know I was furiously mad at myself, very agitated etc etc. It gets boring sometimes repeating the same old list of symptoms. I know that this morning and yesterday I have been very 'active' so not sure, but may be headed towards hypomania after this relatively long stretch of hypomania which then turned to baseline/normal for the last while.

I have a very strong suspicion that the support and kind words I recieve here are making a huge difference in heading off bad things. I know I didn't have enough support in my life before, due to shutting people out and basically emotionally cocooning. This is big for me, and I consider myself so, so lucky to have found all of you here.

Drake is still not able to go to school because of his mouth pain and fever. It's the Herpes Virus.. mouth version of course... which in it's initial outbreak in children can be absolutely horrendous, with sores all throughout the mouth, fever, vomiting. This is my third child now with this as Jord had it when he was the same age. And that's what Lucy just got over. I'm suspecting they picked it up from my Mom who get's the odd outbreak of cold sores so must be a carrier of the virus. Don't tell here though, she'd feel mortified that she was the root of such pain and suffering! ;) Must run & get more 'Boost' for the invalid.

Mom & Drake last Christmas

10 comments:

Monica Cassani said...

ah....I had a friend when I was a kid with the outbreak of herpes like that...it is truly awful. Hope they are lucky and don't get outbreaks too often..

Lycine---the amino acid is supposed to keep herpes at bay. I've heard of people having wonderful results from it...but for one of my best girlfriends it did nothing.

Coco said...

Gianna, it IS truly awful. The pain is very severe, and the sores go all over their lips and mouth, and even down in their throat. My oldest had it at 6 (now 14) and he hasn't had any problems so far. Usually it just means they'll get the odd cold sore as an adult. But this initial outbreak is out of this world for them.

Thanks for the Lycine mention; it was apparently too late to give it to Lucy, but we're off to the doctor in the morning to see about it for Drake. Now that we know it's not just the stomach flu. It took a few days for the sores to come out so we were unsure what was going on. Mainly because Lucy never had any vomiting, and Drake is VERY susceptible to stomach bugs. Anyway, this too shall pass! And we'll keep our fingers crossed that Tasha remains uninfected!

sbwrites said...

Dear Coco,
So sorry to read about your kids. Hope that Drake feels better.

Also, I just wanted to say that it does make a huge difference to know that people are always routing for you. That's why I truly believe that blogging makes a difference.

I'm not sure if many of us just didn't feel comfortable sharing our feelings with people who aren't bipolar, or whether we stopped sharing our feelings when we didn't get the responses we needed.

But it is life-affirming to be a part of a community that cares about you.

Susan

Jazz said...

Coco-
Glad you're feeling a bit better today, and I hope the kids continue to improve. It is awfully tough dealing with sick kids one after the other...that in itself could have triggered your need for silence. Being in constant demand is really hard on anybody!

I agree--it's great to have found a bunch of people who truly get where I am coming from. So hard to find friends like that in my community. I'm basically pretty shy, so it's a pretty big deal for me to make a new friend.

Coco said...

Hi Susan, I'm not sure as I stopped sharing my feelings...I never really did to begin with. If I share my feelings it's usually with with my hubby or my mom. I do now have the support of my best friend as well, who I've opened up to about all this. So yeah, it's a matter of them just not understanding I guess, even though they try, and of course their support means the world. As far as people outside my immediate circle, it's simply that I'm not the kind that opens up to people easily, and have a hard time making new friends. Certainly finding any that would understand all this would be asking a lot!

Coco said...

Jazz, thanks! I am feeling a lot better. The stress of being in demand has a lot to do with it, I agree. It IS amazingly stressful looking after sick kids. Especially when it involves being woken up multiple times throughout the night, so that your day performance is compromised.

I think I'm noticing something about myself though. My tendency is to give it my all, just go, go, go and nurture nurture nurture, until my tank is on empty and I have a mini crash. I've always been that way, almost frantically over-attentive when anyone is sick. It's not good. I need to step back and breathe once in a while... focus on me in order to recharge my battery.

And seeing as I think we're heading into round three before round 2 is even over, I think I'd better take my own advice.

We sound similar as far as making new friends Jazz, I can be very shy too. I can make superficial connections fine, but find it very hard to deepen them.

sbwrites said...

Dear Coco,
I'm must say that I'm surprised. On paper, you are so warm, so open, so supportive, and so funny! It's interesting to me that you find it difficult to make friends. Have you ever thought about joining a writing group?

In response to what you said to Jazz, I wonder if giving your all to others isn't a symptom of this illness. I used to do that too, until I realized that it always led to "crashing and burning."

Now, I try to pace myself although I'm not always successful.

Susan

marja said...

Hi Coco,

I know what that herpes feels like it. As a young child I ended up in hospital with it. I clearly remember the nurse trying to feed me. It was the most painful thing.

I agree with Susan. A writing group is an excellent place for people who want to write - learning to work on your writing skills and to share it with others. I've belonged to a group like that for over ten years. They helped me when I was writing "Riding the Roller Coaster" and when I wrote the book that will be released in a month.

I hope life will be more normal for you soon. Take care. - marja

Coco said...

Susan, thank you for those lovely compliments! I think I find it hard to make friends because I have this huge fear of getting close to anyone. I always come up with reasons why I shouldn't develop the friendship, and I just end up backing off. I'm hoping to change this! And of course it's so much easier for me to open up in writing and feel closer to people that way. It's always been this way with me, and I used to be a huge letter writer. (Remember letters? ;) I still do write letters once in a while.

In regards to a writing group? That's a great suggestion, and one I may follow through with one day; but right now I don't think I have the time to invest.

I'm glad you've made strides with pacing yourself... it's a very good attribute to work on, and I think I need lessons! Thing is, when I have the energy to do for others I'm always right in there, because I'm just so grateful that it's a possibility. It comes at a price though, and I could stand to learn some restraint. Or at least to take better care of myself while I'm in the thick of things.

Coco said...

Oh Marja, I can't imagine poor little you in the hospital with this! That must have been horrible! Being hospitalized as a young child is traumatic in itself, but ooooh, the pain.

I think things are clearing up finally around here though, and then we'll see about getting back to normal. Ummm... what's that again? ;)