Wednesday, May 14, 2008

I'm Shrinking


When I was first diagnosed with major depression in 1994 (triggered by giving birth to my firstborn), I was living in a larger urban area, and was under the care of a psychiatrist for a few years. I felt properly supported and cared for. So when I went back to my GP after the bipolar diagnosis, I told him I would really be more comfortable being referred back to my original pdoc even though it's been over a decade, and is a 3 hour drive one way. I'm glad I did. To sum up how my day went I'm posting a letter I just sent a friend who was anxious to know how my day went.


Hi, everything went better than I expected yesterday, in that I was really nervous about it and wondered if he'd remember me even, and also was feeling kind of 'dumb' for wanting to go all the way there for a doctor's appointment. And also because I've been feeling 'normal' the last couple of days mood-wise I felt like I have been making mountains oout of molehills and that nothing is really wrong etc. I always do this. Basically I thought he'd look at me and wonder what the heck I was doing there and send me on my way. Maybe refer me to someone closer to home.

So needless to say, that's not how it went, thankfully. First of all he wasn't sure of anyone 'closer to home' and told me (what I suspected) that the area up here is quite underserviced for the population. So that part eased my mind. So basically if I want to be monitered properly in this I'll need to keep seeing him, which is kind of crazy (haha) seeing as it's quite a drive, but I'm thankful I at least have that option.

So after taking a few 'questionairre' type assessments and after hearing about things, he agreed with the diagnosis of bipolar II made by the pdoc up here. He said that especially if there's a genetic predispostion, then it's not uncommon for stress to cause depression to morph into bipolar. I told him about my hesitancy in taking any more meds and also wanting to decrease my effexor. He didn't say anything negative about that and didn't try to 'sell' me on the whole 'meds are what's going to work here' thing! I was really really encouraged by that. He gave me a couple of books to read on some new psychotherapy (talk therapy) technique and basically told me that before I go any further in decreasing my anti-depressant he's like to see me do some reading and basically have a firmer plan in place as far as what path I want to take. And he'd like to see me in 3-4 weeks.



So I'm feeling very optimistic about things. The books he gave me to read are written by a well-known doctor in the states which he's managed to convince to come and do a seminar here. So he's organized this workshop in June. It's for therapists and also for anyone interested. He gave me the brochure in case I was interested... it was kind of cute, he seemed pretty excited about it. (he's not the type that seems easy to get excited). Anyway, I doubt I'll end up going as it's a steeply priced affair, but you never know, after I read the books I might really want to go and will find a way. Regardless, I'm just glad that I finally feel some decent support.

So there we have it! We headed down around 11am, hit a few thrift stores along the way, and by the time all was said and done we only had about an hour to kill before my 4:00 appointment, so we parked at the office, and hung out in the nearby library there for a spell (exciting, I know, but the kids' section had toys!). Got home around 7:30 I guess, and Ray wasn't feeling well at all, so he's home sick from work today. Ok, well before this turns into war and peace THREE, I shall give you a break and sign off. I'll talk to you soon!! :)

9 comments:

Spin Original said...

I'm glad your appointment went well!! I think that if a three hour drive is going to help your sanity, moods, etc, then it's totally worth it.

I noticed you said you went to the library for a "spell". That's something Newfies say... you wouldn't happen to have some roots there, would you??

Coco said...

Thanks so much Paula, I think it's worth it too, especially seeing as we have a history together... it's very comforting.

I did INDEED go to the library for a 'spell'! (and I wasn't even feeling witchy that day - haha). But as far as i know, I have no Newfie roots. Not sure where that came from! You know, I've never even been to the East Coast, and I would so love to. One day. Do you have roots there?

Spin Original said...

Oh, yes, I am Newfie! I was born in Newfoundland. My husband had NO IDEA what the word "spell" meant the first time he heard it. It means, "rest" or "break" of course! Where did you pick it up? It is a frequently said word on the west coast as well as the east coast? Maybe it got dropped between Quebec and Alberta... lol!

sbwrites said...

Dear Coco,
That's good news. I think it's really important to have someone supervising your care. I must say that I don't know whether to laugh or cry for you that it's a three-hour drive. I live in Los Angeles and there must be more psychiatrists here than anywhere in the universe I suspect!

What's the therapy?

Susan

Coco said...

p.j. hi, your husband had no idea what it meant? Wow, I'd never even thought about it, although I must admit I have a penchant for words, their meanings, origins etc. I briefly looked up 'spell' and it's a lot more complicated word that I thought! The meaning I intended though was:
"a period of time that is indefinite, short, or of a specified character" Anyway, I don't think I actually use the word when I talk, it's just one of those things that comes out almost in jest...you know? Like talking a bit more formally for light-hearted effect kind of thing. I don't know if that makes sense... And I don't think it's a common word on the west coast, although I just can't imagine anyone not knowing what it means! lol. And I can't even begin to think where I picked it up, except maybe (probably) from reading, which I've done a lot of over the years. :)

Coco said...

Susan, haha, yes I imagine there's more than a few in L.A.! The therapy, which is maybe more accurately called a technique, (haven't started reading yet so not sure) is 'Mentalizing' and I'll comment on who the author is tomorrow as I can't get to the book right now :) Thanks for coming over!

jennifer said...

I just found your blog through P.J.'s blog. I'm glad your appointment went well also. I just had an appointment with a pdoc the other day that went really bad. I'm going to try to find a different one who isn't a jackass.

Anonymous said...

A good doctor is worth traveling for. Good, knowledgeable, compassionate doctors are rare and hard to find. If you ask me, the library is a fascinating place even without the toys, lol. I love books.

Coco said...

Hi OKC, thanks for coming by! :)

And preciousrock, I totally agree about the library thing, the books ARE the toys arent' they? lol